top of page
  • Paul Simpson

Where to find your toby?

Updated: Jul 5, 2020

Have you ever been faced with a leak in your home and no clue what to do about it? It's the last situation you want to find yourself in, especially when water is gushing out. Not knowing what to do or who to call can prove to be pretty overwhelming.

There are multiple emergencies that may require you to turn off your water, most commonly leaks from pipes and appliances, faulty tap-ware or in-home flooding. In times like these, turning your toby off should be your first move.

A toby is the valve that connects the council water-main to your properties pipes, it may also be referred to as a stopcock or isolating valve. When the toby is turned off, it shuts the water flow to your pipes, from the streets water-main. Most often found on your properties boundary.

It is wise to get familiar with your toby before an emergency arises. Your toby may be near your neighbour's or found in a cluster, so it will save you precious time in an emergency to know which one shuts off your home's water flow.

Any emergencies from a running tap or leaking water cylinder, to a gushing, burst pipe can be controlled by it. The photographs below can help you identify what to look for, as Wellington tobys are commonly designed like so.

Don't hesitate to contact us if you have an emergency or even just need help finding your toby.

404 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page